Creating a new Project
New Projects can be created by clicking the green 'Create new' button in the top right of the 'All work' page, this can be accessed from the work menu>All Work>Create new. From here you can select 'Project' and click the green 'Create new' button again.
There are several ways with which you can create your new Project, you can either:
Configuring your new Project
Here you will be asked for a Name for your Project. You can also choose to add a description, a start and end date and assign a category (either organizational or personal).
Note: Do not use the ISO 27001 category as this links the Project to the Statement of Applicability and ISMS Overview Report. This is therefore only relevant to your ISO 27001 Policies and Controls Project.
Once you’ve added the information, click Create Project.
Here you will be asked to select which Team members you want on the Project. At this step, add your chosen team members and assign their relevant permissions (see later section Team membership and permissions for more detail).
You can also activate some settings for the Project from here:
- Project Approval – Completed activities need to be approved by the Project board
- Dependencies – prevents activities start until their dependencies are complete
This step allows you to define the structure of your Project using Phases, Deliverables, and Activities. If you have chosen a Project framework or to clone an existing Project that pre-defined structure will be loaded for you to use or customize as needed.
Adding a Phase
Phases are the overarching topic of work in a Project. For example, the first Phase in an Employee Induction Project may be 'Getting Started', and in that Phase are all of the Deliverables and Activities the employee needs to undertake before they do anything else.
Click on the Add Phase button to create your first Phase.
Here you can enter a name and description for your Phase, as well as add in any tools that you have access to. Click ‘Add tools’ to show the tool section menu.
Once you are happy click ‘Create Phase’.
Adding a Deliverable
Deliverables are located within Phases, they define the goals to achieve completion for that Phase. Within Deliverables, you will find Activities.
Hover over your new phase and Click the pencil icon to reveal the ‘Add deliverable’ button. Creating a deliverable is as simple as naming it, and clicking ‘Create Deliverable’.
Adding an Activity
Click the ‘Add Activity' button to create a new Activity.
Activities represent units of work that need to get done, as such they have more options than Phases and Deliverables. The only mandatory piece of information an Activity needs is a name, but it is also possible to set:
- Assigned To – the person who will do, or oversee, this work
- Your Reference – That will be displayed as a prefix to the activity name
- Start date – This will plot the activity on the Gantt Chart
- End date – As above
- Estimated days – a view on how much effort is needed to complete this activity
- Dependencies – set which activities this one is dependent on
- Add Tools – associate a tool with this activity
Once you are happy with your choices click ‘Create Activity’.
Editing a Phase, Deliverable, or Activity
You can amend the details of a phase, deliverable, or activity by clicking the pencil icon next to it
- Delete: This will delete that item from the Project Structure
- Duplicate: This will create a copy of the item
- Sort: Sorting allows you to set the order of items of the same type, such as the order of Phases, or the order of Deliverable within a Single Phase, or the order of Activities within a Deliverable. To change a sort order, click the pencil icon next to the item you want to re-order and choose ‘Sort’. You can then drag and drop items up and down into your preferred order. Once finished, click ‘Stop sorting’.
- Move: Deliverables can be moved between Phases, and Activities can be moved between Deliverables. If you wish to move a Deliverable or Activity click the pencil icon next to the item you want to change and select move. The drag and drop the item to its new parent.
- Edit: This will allow you to change the options you set when creating that item (eg: name, description, start date etc)
Starting your Project
Once you feel your Project is set up and you’re ready to start using it, click the green Create Project button in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
Archive a Project
Should you wish to archive your Project, go to Settings there you’ll find the ‘Archive Project’ button at the bottom of the settings page.